Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Goodbye unk


RIP unk, thank you for your generosity, enthusiasm, and creative sense of humor.

One of my favorite memories was when we were little and we would all want piggy back rides from Unk. I would always ask to sit on his shoulders, so I could touch the foil bits in the ceiling. Unk, like my dad would save random stuff, like plastic pieces and wire. I was enthralled especially with the colored wire; my cousins and I would get crafty and make stuff- someone bent my name for me, and I made a cat. Unk would take two colors and put them in his electric screw driver and let us push the button to twist them together perfectly. This interest later led me to me admiration of Alexander Calder (via a PBS documentary my Dad showed me).

Unk was also good at being insightful to helping everyone out. When I was in college, painting with gouache and acrylics Unk came by the house and saw that I needed a water jar that didn't leak all over my bag. So he got he some really durable jars with tight fitting lids. I hadn't even thought of that!

Unk was always willing to lend a hand, spoil us, and try his hand at daunting activities like Christmas dinner.

Thanks Unk, we'll miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment