Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Enchanting.
That's the best way I can describe our trip to the aquarium. I've been
there many times in the past for school and family field trips- and
every time I am glued to the tanks with amazement and wonder of the
swiftly swimming sea creatures staring back at me. I don't know how
they navigate so well in such a busy(?) medium. I imagine it'd be like
flying on a crazy windy day.
One of the volunteer docents asked where we were from, and upon
hearing we were from China launched into a 15 minute story telling
about when he was in Beijing during the Tianamen square event. It was
fascinating... he had just arrived with a delegation of professors to
see the city and meet with people, and they were under lock down, and
the American consulate was trying to get people out as fast as they
could. His group was moved to safety, though they didn't know exactly
what was going on- only hearing rumors.
At the wharf all the restaurants had representatives standing outside
offering samples of their clam chowder- yum! We tried about 5
different ones, from "the fisherman" in a cable knit sweater (very
rich and dense), another man in a pin stripe suit with a mustache (His
was lacking in the clam area) an artistc hoarse voiced lady (lots of
potatoes). We went with "the fisherman" and got seats by the window
overlooking the sea lions sun bathing. A pelican came and sat next to
me! Ok, he was outside the window, but it was the closest I'd ever
been to Pelican! I tried hard not to make sudden movements.
We also saw a butterfly migration- which I remember from my childhood
as well. It was AMAZING. A Monterey pine just covered in clumps of
butterflies. Clumps like in those mascara commercials that show
"tarantula eyes". Their wings sparkled in the sunlight. Apparently no
one has really been able to figure out why they migrate to Monterey,
but they said it might have to do with the temperature, climate, and
magnetic pull. Or moon. Interestingly, even after a generation of
butterflies has died, the next generation will know how to get to
monterey during chun jie. That is an amazing design- like so many
other creatures (sea turtles) who somehow know where to go, following
a path during different phases of their life that all sea turtles just
"know". And I can't even find my way to baggage half the time. (JFK,
ahem- and I wasn't the only confused passenger)
If you ever decide to head to Monterey bay, hit up monterey craigslist
for discounted tickets.
On Timon's request, I'm working on a painting of the big school of
fish swimming right now,

No comments:

Post a Comment