Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Thugs and moving apts - while 8 months pregnant

This is a story much overdue. A story of surprise and rescue.

At 8 months preg we had to move apts- just one down the street. In my condition there wasn't too much I could do. We were both working full time too. So we decided it was best to hire a moving company to also come a pack our stuff into boxes for us. I mean, I was so big I couldn't even bend down to put my shoes on. (Not that my swollen feet could wear shoes...)

A few friends had volunteered to help us oversee the move- we planned to have 1-2 people at the new apt, 1 watching the truck, and the rest overseeing the workers room-to-room giving advice (making sure nothing was stolen, and that they wrapped our breakables properly)

So we ended up with two art gallery interns, and two other gals. 4 ladies, Timon, and a pregnant lady. "We can do this." we thought. The movers were supposed to arrive at 9am. Timon had to run out to meet internet guys at the new apt, and so our friend P came over in case the movers came. Movers were a no show, so we ordered pizza and then the girls arrived. The Movers arrived 2 hrs late after telling us myriad excuses, such as "I'm eating lunch," I was starving. I wanted to eat lunch too!

Then the doorbell rang. I expected to see my pizza, but instead it was a group of rugged looking individuals. "Who are you?" I inquired. "Da zhong." He replied, and I stepped aside as they came in to evaluate our apt. Da zhong? I seemed to think T had negotiated terms with Gongxin. These guys were big and buff. They were casually dresses. No uniforms, not even a clip board or a roll of tape. Instead gold chains and tattoos made their presence in our midst.

"So uh...where's your packing supplies?" we asked. "What supplies? How am I supposed to know? Thats not our problem!" he replied curtly. We all immediately realized something was amiss. I stood my ground as the 7 fellas began prowling our apt eyeing our belongings. One pushed past me even as a pushed back. Really? Trying to push aside a pregnant lady? My girlfriends were automatically on the defense, as was T. My heart was beating and my blood began to boil. There were strange scary men in my home. After trying to sort out who T has contacted on the phone- and what the pre-agreed terms were, we knew we were dealing with a fake moving company. One of my friends, C. had a run in with a fake company. So we decided to decline their service and pursue a legit moving company. The problem was, they wouldn't leave.

They refused to leave without payment.

"You didn't do any work!"
"But we drove here. You should give us money for fuel"

The men took a harsh tone with both Timon and C. Timon was  getting agitated and I was feeling really uncomfortable with the whole situation. Just then, the doorbell rang and in walked the pizza delivery man! The girls and I began to chow down while T continued his dialogue with the thugs spokesman- one of the leaner guys, with his buff henchmen standing beside him. (He had a big chest tattoo of a bird or something) I was getting really worried. Then my phone rang. Apparently one of the girls slipped out with the pizza delivery man and asked for help. The delivery guy advised her to call the cops and ask them to step in. She told our doorman what was going on- but he didn't want to get involved. She was on street level, waiting to meet the cops to explain the situation.

C. took the phone from me and told me everything would be okay. It made me nervous how aggressive the guys were being. (Timon was def holding his ground, but he was still out numbered)

I was afraid a fist fight was going to break out and T would get pummeled. 7 on 1. The girls were trying to protect me, but my maternal instinct were beginning to come out (I felt like we needed to protect the interns)

"Should I call for backup?" I ask C. "Yes!" She said. So I called our friends who live on the block, my voice was shaking as I told her, "...theres a bunch of scary men in our apt who won't leave!"

Just then, 2 cops walked in, yelling at the thugs and waving them out. And in a minute they were gone. T chatted with the cops, and it was over. We all sat down, exhausted. My girlfriend who had called the cops came back in, relieved. We were all buzzing with questions and releasing stress. What if the guys beat up Timon? "...took the car keys from their moving truck, so they couldn't leave... and took photos of their license plate and registration..." Clever, gutsy, and bold!

Moral of the story:
-Hire a legit company by called 114 (China) and asking for the official phone # for Gongxin or Dazhong.
-Do not be tricked by false websites that claim to be one of said moving companies.
-Call the cops. They can show up in 5 minutes!
-When moving always, always, always have your own crew with you- at least 4 people.


Conclusion:
The next day, the real Gongxin showed up. The representative showed up dressed neatly with a clipboard in hand. He smiled at me and immediately took off his shoes. He was polite, courteous, and nodded affirmatively when listening to our questions. Where his team showed up later, they all had coordinating uniforms, and they greeted us with a pleasant hello, and gestures of "How cute, your pregnant! Please, sit down and rest". It was night and day. They packed our stuff like a well oiled machine, frequently asking questions, seeking approval, and even labeling our boxes! It all happened in the blink of an eye, we suddenly found ourselves in our new apt.

No comments:

Post a Comment