Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tired

I get really excited whenever I get to trip back to the US. But I always forget how exhausting it is. The checklists. The jet lag. Lifting luggage.

Its just the end of my second day here, after all the driving google-mapping I'm starting to get a feel for long island. I mean beginning to understand life in America again. Fast, demanding focus and concentration, and so diverse. I went by the mall to buy a sim card, and was in a constant state of tug-of-war visually, with all the different stores and their window displays, attention demanding signage, and never ending maze. 6 signs later I can finally find the bathroom! The atmosphere in the mall shops is so much more tailored and defined compared to china. Each store here has its extremely branded look, for the most part. Whereas Chinese malls (like Cloud 9 ZSP) all resemble a similar layout. Neon lights, and stuff.

Even going into Target I was so overwhelmed. I'm also overwhelmed at Yu Garden's market too... but this was all new stimuli of stuff I didn't know - 100% I had never seen before. Trends change quickly and frequently. I had no idea that Snapple came in 2 liter bottles! I think suddenly being bombarded with English text and sounds- much more to process than just going to Carre four and ignoring all Chinese signs and announcements.

Best of all, shopping here is GOOD. $10 for jeans and $7 for a silk blouse! Score! I could have never swung that in China. even on taobao.

I had lunch at Thomas' egg and hamery diner across the street. It was aDORable! Counter seating, and a whole bunch of booths, with the coat hanger post inbetween each booth. It was like stepping into a previous past. Everyone had Long island accents. It was so cute I wanted to laugh but didn't want people to think I was laughing AT them. The wait staff chatted with all their 'regulars' with their Long Island accents, calling everyone "sweetheart"and repeatedly asking customers if everything was okay. She did all her calculations on a calculator, tapping furiously at the buttons. I had a bowl of chili with cheese and onions. It was so so rich.

Got a meeting tomorrow where I'm presenting 20 some odd product ideas. Then off to Virginia!

No comments:

Post a Comment