Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

all good

Wow- I'm getting really blog obsessed. I think I subscribe to a new blog every day! There's so many corner of the world hiding out in the netherworlds of the internet- and I'm just fascinated! My laptop overheated (and doesn't have the VPN) so I'm restricted to blogging from Timon's TV/computer, so no photos or links for now. Just typing from the sofa and squinting at the TV screen- which stretches the text a bit so I can't tell commas and periods apart... anyways.

I have a 30-45 minute commute to work via metro. I used to listen to podasts or read the newspaper on my iTouch- until I missed my stop and then I re-discovered books. Books! I do read at home, but suddenly I found I could read 30-50 pages at day reading during my commute and during my lunch break. At the end of the day, it was much more fulfilling than reading the paper. It is important and interesting to know what is going on in the world around us, but I ended up with a handful of random facts instead real meaty food for thought- concepts and ideas that I would chew on and spark intriguing conversations with people. (And I hope it also helps upkeep my English)

These are the books I've finished, and have wanted to jot some notes down.

THE SHACK
BLINK by Malcolm Gladwell
WHAT THE DOG SAW
and currently reading MERE CHRISTIANITY by CS LEWIS

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity , by William P. Young is a novel about a father going through hard times and meets the characters assumed to be God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. This was a fascinating interpretation and illustration of what God, Jesus, Spirit's personalities, interactions, not to mention their answers to the main character's many troubled questions and disbelief. Generally people pray desiring a verbal response (whether likely or not) and this book proposes a graceful possibility of what it is/or could be like. The main focus the Main character, Mack is wrestling with is his humungous pain he's endured and questioning the highest power, "Why?" -a question we have pondered at least once in our life, if not more. And more importantly Mack asks, "How can I possibly go on with my life after all this pain?"

I enjoyed this book- it was funny, serious, not to heavy, and also heart warming. It challenged me in the way I see my own relationship with God and the trinity and silly expectations I held/hold. I wont get into the details too much. Timon hasn't read it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment