Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

NY international gift fair

Jewelry. Jonathan Adler. The two things most likely to be found at this year's NY international gift fair (NYIGF) Okay, so Jonathan Adler did have their own adorable booth, but "inspired" pieces bearing eerily similar patterns and colorways seemed to be every I looked. Handbags, lamp shades, galvanized buckets in bright colors with white accents. Missoni was knocked off a few times, but nearly as much as the Jonathan Adler prints.

This huge fair at Javits convention center (And two piers) spanned 5 days and boasted 2,800 vendors.

And I walked the entire thing in heels, hauling my laptop, juggling a waterbottle (it was roasting!) and scribbling notes at the same time. Pity I wasn't able to take more photos! I feel awkward taking photos. I feel awkward talking to people about their products. (1) because I am 110% product designer, and maybe only .5% with any ability to make buying decisions for my company. But it was fun and exciting. Bright colors, sparkles, music! 

One of my favorite halls was the housewares- think Pottery Barn meets, vintage flea market. Mostly furniture, but also mirrors, chandeliers, tabletop, lamps, and all that good vintage looking stuff. I think I saw the same dome chair (Restoration Hardware) about 6 times by different "vendors" in different finishes. Definitely interesting, but I wonder how successful it is, or just an eye catcher? Some booths were plastered in prices, with discounts and deals, others were stage beautifully like a real show room. 

There was also a ton of bags and tchochkes. By bags I mean handbags and beach totes. One of the most interesting ones was in NY's Newest- the winky bag. It featured a circular hologram of a giant eye that winked!  (http://www.hi-di-hi.com/)

ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment