Pages

Friday, April 18, 2008

my first terrible cab ride // wonderful desserts!

this morning we took a cab to work. Work is only about 15 minutes from our apt, straight down xianxia and then right on fuchan. Quite simple, and simple enough for a simpleton like myself to direct on mandarin. So our driver says, doesn't understand the cross street, and we're like," fine. just go down fuchan, and we'll tell you. " and then he hangs right prematurely and pulls over 1 block later and whips out a map. And we're all waving our arms saying "go straight!" in mandarin. pointing is universal. And so I call my boss to tell him where to go, if he is lost- but he refuses the phone. Two blocks later he refers back to the map, and we're all telling him where to go. This is our hood, ya kno? Anyways. we're going the opposite direction, the meter is running, my roomate is irate, my boss is asking me questions, and I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do. My boss says not to pay him, I'm thinking maybe just jump out. But since i"M with my roomie it has to be synchronized jumping out.

arrghh. we finally get to the office and my boss is outside ready to tell this guy off. I didn't want to talk about it any longer.

that was the morning. the flipside is the evening, when our cell group went out for dessert together. There's quite a variety of us: singaporean, korean, australia, african, malaysian, canadian, american. . . . and we got 4 pieces of delicious cake and shared them! Carrot cake, lemon meruingue(sp?), flourless chocolate, and coconut cream!!! yum! From City Diner on tongren lu.

Here's my review:

1. Coconut cream: my favorite of the 4, was perfectly sweet, light and fluffy.
2. Carrot cake: moist, good texture, but some parts of the cake were a bit dry
3. Lemon meruingue: Very tangy and quite overpowering, but good thick shortbread crust, nice n flaky.
4. Flourless chocolate: looks like fudge- the top frosting layer was terrific: Melts-in-your-mouthness, but the body was not sweet enough( I ate this before the lemon meruingue)

No comments:

Post a Comment