Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Day in the life: Picking plants


Today at work I picked plants. Fake plants. This was my bosses idea, I designed a few planters and then had our sourcing partner find us some plants. I had originally came up with a semi-clever idea that the plants were mounted on a base that doubled as a lid- so it could be a secret box! But upon receiving all the little guys, I realized they were actually quite a bit heavier and needed a bigger base, else be top heavy.

The sourcing staff usually finds factories that make the plants (or whatever we're looking for) sends them my drawings- which are a mix of photoshop hack jobs, napkin sketches, and technical drawings. "What kind of plant do you want?" Leafy, green and 8" wide! So then the team brings me samples from several vendors and I get to choose which one is suitable for our upcoming meeting in NY. Or sometimes I send my boss photos when the answer is less than obvious. Our team is pretty good at narrow material selections down- what's water resistant, less fragile, doesn't smell bad, or can be custom colored. And price. That is always the biggest challenge!

Since I don't know plant names in english or chinese I picked the longy one with the three flowers and spindly stems since it will be easiest to bundle and ship without damage, and is more mainstream than the bubble looking plant (which I personall think is cute, though the color looks sour)

1 comment: